During adolescence, the physical changes generated by testosterone – male sexual hormone – in boys’ bodies are irreversible.
One of the most noticeable changes during this stage is the growth of Adam’s apple, a typical male feature, which is but a cartilage that protects men’s vocal chords.
The correction of this male feature, visible in transsexual women is a need, and is one of the simplest surgeries among facial feminization procedures.
A small 4-cm incision in a neck fold allows the surgeon to gain access to the thyroid cartilages, whose excess, which generates the swelling in the neck, is then cut and removed, leaving a smooth, feminine surface. A malpractice of this procedure would deteriorate the voice, hence the importance of counting on a qualified surgeon for performing this procedure.
Anesthesia and Recovery
The anesthesia is local, and this surgery takes about one (1) hour. The recovery may take place at home, and the patient must avoid talking during this period.
During the first days, the patient may feel a slight discomfort when swallowing food. The only sign of the operation will be a small bandage covering the stitches that will be removed by the doctor a few days later.
No matter how simple the surgery, there is always a possibility for complications, such as:
– Damages to the vocal chords and voice.
– Infections due to an improper intake or lack of antibiotics.
– Discomfort while speaking
– Adverse reactions to anesthesia.
IMPORTANT: THE TECHNIQUE WE USE LIMITS THE REDUCTION OF THE THYROID CARTILAGE; OTHERWISE, IT WOULD IMPLY ACCESSING THE LARYNGEAL CAVITY AND USING ANOTHER TYPE OF TECHNIQUE, WHICH IS NOT CURRENTLY USED, AS IT DOES ALTER THE VOICE TONE
Comprehensive Medical Packages
Benefits for our patients
- Accommodation in Apartment.
- 24-hour personal assistance.
- Mobile phone at your disposal without additional cost.
- Airport-hotel-clinic-medical consultation transportation.
- Preferential medical visits during the hospitalization.
- Medical preoperative
- Additional services at your request.